Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, February 05, 2007

Oh, Molly, how we will miss you

Note: if you came here from a linked word in one of my posts, then I stole that phrase from the political writer I admire the most, Molly Ivins, my heroine.



The irrepressible, the unstoppable, the undefeatable Molly Ivins has left the Good State for the final time. Ms. Ivins died of breast cancer this week.

She once said that she wanted to be one of the great writers, like Camus and Proust, but while they had real political turmoil to rage against, "all I had was Lubbock."

Instead she went on to found the Texas Observer magazine which studied "The Laboratory of Bad Ideas," or the Texas Legislature.

She left Texas to write for the New York Times, and later became a syndicated columnist and author of such books as her famous "Bushwhacked."

She never married, having devoted herself to her career, and she told reporters, "and I'm not even a lesbian, which would have at least been interesting."

You could not stop her, you could not silence her. She spoke truth to power in the most delightful, humorous, and skewering way. Only death could get her to lay down for a while. We will sure miss you, girl. Texas is a little dimmer today.

PS I borrowed the flag image from belaboringtheobvious.blogspot.com, I don't know where he borrowed it from! I got the pic of Ms. Molly at DeanFest 2005 from Wikipedia.

No comments: