Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

It's the Little Things in Life

I'm happy today, but not because anything really great has happened. Today, it's all about the little things.

The workers on my street are busily making homes for my future neighbors, and today they are farther up the street from my house, which means they're quieter. In return, I'm trying not to think too much about their legal status as immigrants.

I remembered to buy greeting cards AND send them, which is remarkable for me.

Warren Jeffs, the Big Bad Polygamist, is in custody-- not that I care, but the little bit of happy here is that I will never again have to listen to Anderson Cooper drone on and on about him! Especially in that Voice, dripping with emotion, which I totally bought during Katrina, but when it was applied to Jeffs, I realized how hollow it was.

Tim Grieve over at Salon's War Room posted this today:

CQ Politics has just moved the November outlook for the district once represented by Tom DeLay from "no clear favorite" to "leans Democratic."

Ah yes, I have no complaints today...

Well, you know that's not true. On the topic of little things, we don't know who killed JonBenet after all. I know, we're all supposed to be ashamed at the way we've been fascinated by her like there wasn't anything else going on in the world. But I am fascinated! I had always thought that we would never find out whodunit, that it would go the way of Bob Crane, Kennedy, and the Black Dahlia. Those stories have always fascinated me because of their unsolved nature (I am so psyched for this upcoming Black Dahlia movie!) I was aghast at the idea that we had actually caught JonBenet's killer-- no so much for justice, I admit, but just for knowing... And while I'm glad that they didn't go ahead and prosecute an innocent (and clearly bonkers) man, I'm a little grimmer today that the mystery remains on my list of Things To Ask God When I Die.

There are many real and important things to worry about, but I'm banishing those thoughts and instead worrying about how I'm going to fit all these new shows* on my TiVo. Because sometimes, there is Katrina, and sometimes, it's just August.

* :)
:(
(In order to get to the Salon links above, you will probably have to watch a short commercial, sorry!)

No comments: