Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, August 13, 2006

LMP in Packing Hell

Just a reminder for those of you looking for new posts, we're closing on the new house this week and moving, plus my son just had his second birthday, so I've got my hands full and haven't had time to write. This war would be hard to write about anyway, and frankly, I don't care as much about the whole Joe Lieberman thing as I probably should as a card-carrying Democrat.

Actually I'm not one, but I did go to Hillary Clinton's web site and signed up to be a Hill's Angel, and got a wallet card, for which my mother would certainly decry I was going to hell.

I used to work in political fundraising, as you know, and all that stuff is so silly. They just wanted my email address. There was a great Dave Barry piece back in the 1980s about how his wife accidentally got on some list and the Republicans sent her a whole packet of crap, including a 1-800 line to "The US Senate" (what line is that?) and a lapel pin "that symbolized her special relationship with the President". I wish I could remember the whole thing, my favorite part was, "Since that time I had a possum trapped in my garage, I can't think of a time that I needed a special emergency number to the US Senate."

People often ask me if I would vote for Hillary. I can't think of anyone I'd like to vote for more, other than Barack Obama. I think she's really great, and I think she's done a great job as Senator.

The problem is, there are a lot of people who hate her on a weird visceral level, whether because they hated her as First Lady/Clinton's wife, or because they hated Bill and that's enough to hate her. I personally don't get it, but you know, there are still lots of people who "want to have a beer with" Bush and personally, I would run screaming in the other direction, after having stopped to spit on him. No, in this dry heat, I wouldn't spare the spit.

My parents fall into this category. For numerous reasons, these two centrists moved right over the years. There's a great saying, I don't know by whom, that if you're not a liberal when you're young you're hard-hearted, but if you're not a conservative when you're older you're an idiot. But I digress. These two great people moved right, and Mom even got to the point where she was really crowing about it, in those heady days of 1994 and the Contract with America.

Now, after all the hell this administration has put us through, they have had enough and are starting to swing back to the left again. I don't know how far they would really swing, (my parents as swingers, sorry, that makes me laugh!) but they are certainly as ready to give the Left a shot as I was to give the Right a shot.

However, they still hate Hillary right down to their toes, as far as I can tell, and would never vote for her even if the other ticket was Cheney/Rumsfeld. And if I can't get these two votes, so ripe for picking, to go to Clinton, then she'll never make it to the White House.

Like I told my mom, I can't vote for her because you won't vote for her.

Well, I'll leave you with that as I go back to packing. Remember, there might not be any more new posts until after we're settled in next week. Till then, watch the skies!

No comments: