Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Don't promise me a rose garden

Presidential Candidates-- Now Hear This:

I don't need you to tell me what you're going to do in Iraq when you get into office two years from now.

There is really no way for anyone to say what they will do in two years.

In two years Iran might have gotten involved. Or Syria. Or China.

In two years the city of Baghdad might be entirely abandoned. Or nuked with a dirty bomb.

In two years, the number of displaced Iraqis turning up at the world's doorstep could equal the entire former population of the country.

In two years, terrorists could strike us, "poking the bear", as Rush Limbaugh would say, and feeding the public's bloodthirst...again.

In two years, the Iraqis may have finally found national unity in hunting down every American until we are run out of the country and the Fall of Baghdad rivals the drama of the Fall of Saigon.

My point is simply this: whatever you tell me you will do in Iraq, you're only reflecting what you might do under the current situation. No one can say, until January of 2009, what should really be done in Iraq under the next presidency, because without a crystal ball, there is no way to know what the situation will be then.

What I do need you to promise me is that you will not make the mistakes of this disastrous current administration.

Tell me you won't lie to me, or spy on me.

Tell me you won't abuse our troops, but that you will use them wisely, lovingly, and with care.

Tell me that you will stop and think before you act.

Tell me that you will put the good of the USA before the good of your party.

Tell me that you care less about permanent majorities than you do about permanent solutions.

Tell me that you care more about the truth than discrediting your critics.

Tell me you will take timely action, not time action to polical salesmanship.

Tell me you will talk to both our friends and our enemies, so that we may find a way to create peace and prosperity for all nations of the earth.

Tell me that you will never leave a family on a rooftop begging for help.

Tell me I don't have to worry about political payoffs and kickbacks and lobbyists and unethical behavior, because you are ethical and honest and you won't tolerate corruption.

Tell me you will promote science and reason so that we can trust government reports and so we have accurate information to move forward.

Tell me you will promote my expression of free speech and never try to silence or marginalize me, even if I disagree with you.

And even more than that, show me as best you can that these tales are not lies, but show me that you are honest, trustworthy, compassionate, fair, and thoughtful by how you run your campaign and how you conduct yourself.

If you do all of this, I will vote for you. And if you fail me, I will fight to impeach your ass. I will no longer stand idly by and watch my government fall into sin, death, and despair.

Don't promise me a rose garden, and you just might get The Rose Garden.

No comments: